FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do USB extension cables degrade performance?

Post Date: 2018-12-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Do USB extension cables degrade performance?
    Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:46am
I might have to use a USB cable extension between my Joystick and a powered USB hub connected to my PC. Might this little bit of daisy-chaining degrade the performance of the device? Many thanks.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 4:44pm
No. The spec for USB 2.0 is 5 meters, and for USB 3.0/3.1, it's 3 meters. I presume you're not talking about anything near that long.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Cretae

No. The spec for USB 2.0 is 5 meters, and for USB 3.0/3.1, it's 3 meters. I presume you're not talking about anything near that long.

Many thanks, Cretae, as ever, that is good to know. Can you help me understand what an "active" USB 3.0 extension cable is, and whether I would benefit from one of these in my HOTAS-to-powered 3.0 hub-to-PC connection? Thanks again.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 1:55am
Unless your sitting dozens of feet away from your rig, I doubt an active usb cable is needed.   Depends on your setup.    

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 5:25am
+1

An active cable boosts the signal all along the wire. It's only needed when you exceed the recommended 5m or 3m spec from your hub. A powered USB hub can substitute if you use it between two cables that don't exceed the recommended length. For example, you had a cable from a computer USB 2.0 port running 12 feet (let's say) to a powered USB hub, and another cable running no more than about 16 feet (5m) from there. No need for an active cable as the powered USB hub boosts the signal.

Having said all that, it's obvious the longer the cable the more the signal degrades, but the recommend length provides for a signal that is not degraded enough to matter. My understanding of what you're doing is that your powered hub is atop your rig, and then you have an extra cable to your HOTAS on your desk in immediate proximity. You have absolutely no degradation if that's the case. (TMI? )
 Post Reply Post Reply